Riding the Innovation Cycle, with Dr. Christopher Wasden – The Innovation Engine Podcast
On this week’s episode of “The Innovation Engine” podcast we look at riding the innovation cycle with Dr. Christopher Wasden. Among the topics we cover are why fast, frequent, frugal failure can be a recipe for innovation success, the types of brain waves necessary for any of us to channel to innovate successfully, and what to expect from the next wave of innovation in the world of health care.
Dr. Christopher Wasden joins us to discuss all that and more. Dr. Wasden is the Executive Director of the Sorenson Center for Discovery & Innovation at the University of Utah and the former Managing Director - Global Healthcare Innovation Leader at PricewaterhouseCoopers. As a global thought leader on Innovation and Digital Health, he has written and published over 60 articles, book chapters and reports on the topic. He speaks frequently about how Innovation and Digital Health are transforming the practice of medicine, the delivery of care, and the creation of an entirely new wellness paradigm.
Dr. Wasden is a named inventor on 11 issued patents and has been a leader in 10 different startups, where he developed many of his ideas around the innovation cycle and lifecycle, which he will explore in-depth in his forthcoming book, Tension: The Energy of Innovation – How Harnessing Tension Fuels Your Creative Genius.
Among the highlights of this week's episode of the podcast are:
- We talk about why failure is a necessary ingredient for any innovation endeavor and get Dr. Wasden's reaction to the backlash to the "Fail Fast" mantra that has become popular in Silicon Valley and in the Lean Startup movement
- Dr. Wasden shares some tips he uses with his students at the University of Utah that corporate teams can use to come up with innovative ideas
- Dr. Wasden weighs in on Google Ventures' Bill Maris' proclamation that he believes it's possible for humans to live to be 500, and famed venture capitalist Peter Thiel's quest for "eternal life"
Listen to the Episode
Interested in hearing more? Tune in to the full episode of “The Innovation Engine” podcast via the SoundCloud embed below.
You can also download and subscribe to The Innovation Engine on iTunes or tune in via the podcast’s home on Stitcher Radio to listen online, via Android or iOS, or on any device supporting a mobile browser.
- The website for the Sorenson Center for Discovery & Innovation at the University of Utah
- View Dr. Christopher Wasden's profile on LinkedIn
- Follow Dr. Christopher Wasden on Twitter
- Watch a BloombergBusiness video on Google Ventures' "Search for Immortality":