July 4, 2014
Innovation & Customer Experience, with Jeneanne Rae
On this week’s episode of “The Innovation Engine” podcast, we look at the connection between innovation and customer experience. Among the topics we discuss are how to create the optimal customer experience in a world where interactions between company and consumer increasingly occur online; what customer experience means for companies in the services space, which account for 80% of the American economy; and why it is so important for any company looking to achieve long-term success to leave a lasting impression with their customers.
Our guest this week is Jeneanne Rae, Founder and CEO of Motiv Strategies and a widely recognized expert on customer experience and services innovation. Bloomberg Businessweek named Jeneanne one of its “Magnificent Seven Innovation Gurus” and “Best Leaders of the Year” based on her groundbreaking work in the study of service innovation. Jeneanne writes frequently for the Harvard Business Review, and her work has also appeared in publications like Design Management Review and Fast Company. Over her more than 20 year career she has worked with some of the most beloved and well-respected companies both large and small, to help deliver meaningful innovation in their respective markets.
Here are a few of the highlights from the “Innovation and Customer Experience” episode of “The Innovation Engine” podcast:
- We start things off talking about what all customer experience entails, and the reality of its effects on business
- Jeneanne talks about the importance of customer journey mapping and how it can be used to identify pain points, moments of truth, and pleasure points within the customer experience process
- How she helped Amtrak with their high speed rail offering, shifting their approach to customer experience via market research and customer journey mapping
- The psychology behind customer experiences and how our brains are attuned to “WOW” experiences, especially in the digital world.
- The integration of design and its importance in creating successful customer experiences
- Understanding that customer experience isn’t "a project" but rather a way of doing business
Interested in hearing more? Tune in to the full episode of “The Innovation Engine” podcast using the Stitcher Radio widget below:
You can also download and subscribe to The Innovation Engine on iTunes or tune in via the podcast’s home on Stitcher Radio to listen online, via Android or iOS, or on any device supporting a mobile browser.