April 6, 2015
The Future of Media, with Jane McDonnell & Trevor Knoblich
On this week’s episode of "The Innovation Engine" podcast we take a look at innovation and the future of media. We talk about the myriad ways the media & entertainment landscape has changed in recent years, as well as how emerging technologies and social media platforms are changing the way we both consume and create the news.
Jane McDonnell and Trevor Knoblich of the Online News Association join us to discuss those topics and more. Jane McDonnell is the Executive Director of the ONA, where she manages the day-to-day operations of the world’s largest membership organization of digital journalists. Trevor Knoblich is the Digital Director of the ONA, where he connects journalists to emerging tools, technology, training and resources, and leads programming for the ONA’s annual conference.
Here are a few highlights from this podcast episode with Jane and Trevor:
- We kick things off by talking about the ONA, its history, and its mission
- Jane outlines some of the biggest challenges faced by news organizations today, specifically revenue creation, the culture of news organizations, and staying current with rapidly changing tools and technologies
- Trevor talks about some of those emerging tools and technologies being used by journalists today and why the proliferation of digital content, platforms, and news outlets makes a journalist's job as challenging now as it has ever been
- We talk about paywalls and whether they are proving successful from a business standpoint for news organization like the New York Times and Wall Street Journal, as well as smaller news organizations throughout the country
- Jane and Trevor share key takeaways from ONA’s recently held conference in London, which focused on mobile design, content, and distribution
LISTEN TO THE EPISODE
Interested in hearing more? Tune in to the full episode of “The Innovation Engine” podcast via the SoundCloud embed below.
You can also download and subscribe to The Innovation Engine on iTunes or tune in via the podcast’s home on Stitcher Radio to listen online, via Android or iOS, or on any device supporting a mobile browser.