August 26, 2020
169 | Growth & Evolution: Enhancing Productivity to Encourage Innovation – with Andrew Glover
Productivity is one of the keys to growth, but it can be hard to remain productive when processes are rapidly evolving and changing.
Joining us is Andy Glover, the Director of Productivity Engineering at Netflix. Hear what it means to operate in an organization undergoing constant change and get the inside scoop on whether the Netflix culture deck is real. We discuss the importance of productivity in innovation, the pains that come when a business grows rapidly, and having empathy for the end user of your product.
The role of Productivity Engineering in a company and how they aid in growth
- Productivity Engineers focus on enhancing developer productivity by removing roadblocks to innovation
- They look at the world through three lenses: local development experience, delivery experience, and operational experience
- As a company grows, the offerings and employees of the company grow as well.
- Platform engineering was set up by individual teams to make people’s lives easier, but didn’t consider how they would work together
- This leads to inefficiencies that the Productivity Engineering team exists to fix
- This method requires a high level of empathy regarding the users needs
LISTEN TO THE EPISODE
ABOUT THE INNOVATION ENGINE
Since 2014, 3Pillar has published The Innovation Engine, a podcast that sees a wide range of innovation experts come on to discuss topics that include technology, leadership, and company culture. You can download and subscribe to The Innovation Engine on Apple Podcasts. You can also tune in via the podcast’s home on Stitcher Radio, , and SoundCloud to listen online, via Android or iOS, or on any device supporting a mobile browser. You can download The Innovation Engine‘s dedicated iOS app from the Apple Podcasts App store, and you can subscribe to receive new episodes in your inbox each time one is published.