Digitization Decoded: Cracking the Secret Code Giving Companies Like Apple, Google, and Uber Their Edge
On this episode of The Innovation Engine, we'll look at how to crack the secret code giving companies like Apple, Google, and Uber their edge. We'll talk about what it means to go through a digital transformation, how - or whether - you'll know when you've successfully come out on the other side, and why you don't have to work at one of the world's most well-known tech companies to carve out a place for yourself in the digital world.
Pascal Finette, an expert on topics that include digitization, entrepreneurship, open innovation, technology trends, leadership, and cultural transformation, joins us to talk those topics and more. Anchored in more than 20 years of experience in the IT and internet industry with a vast network of subject matter experts, he regularly consults and delivers deeply engaging, refreshingly honest, direct, thought-provoking, and motivational experiences. Pascal’s newsletter, The Heretic, is read by tens of thousands of changemakers globally, and he recently started putting out a mini-podcast of his own titled The Heretic Semi-Daily Briefing.
LISTEN TO THE EPISODE
You can tune in to the full interview with Pascal Finette below.
Pascal touches on the concept of what he calls "exponential technologies," and why all companies need to be prepared for their own digital transformations (even though it's an overused term that Pascal dislikes):
- When you look at your full value chain and the products and services you deliver in today’s digital world, you have to consider how can you enhance this value chain by either turning it digital or, where that isn't possible, thinking about how you can increase the value and the features in this value chain by adding digital to it. “And this affects pretty much every business I can think of.”
- The mistake many companies make, Pascal says, is believing that a digital transformation equates to putting up a website or enhancing the one they already have. The reality is that it's much more about things like applying machine learning to large data sets, figuring out what to do with sensor information, and learning how to differentiate your offerings in a digital world when the cost of storage, reproduction, and automation is rapidly approaching zero.
- Learn more at Finette.com
- Connect with Pascal: Twitter | Instagram | LinkedIn
- Sign up for Pascal’s newsletter: The Heretic
- Listen: The Heretic Semi-Daily Briefing
- The GuruBook: Insights from 45 Pioneering Entrepreneurs and Leaders on Business Strategy and Innovation by Jonathan Løw
- Check out Singularity University: su.org
ABOUT THE INNOVATION ENGINE
Since 2014, 3Pillar has published The Innovation Engine, a podcast that sees a wide range of innovation experts come on to discuss topics that include technology, leadership, and company culture. You can download and subscribe to The Innovation Engine on iTunes. You can also tune in via the podcast’s home on Stitcher Radio or SoundCloud, or Spotify to listen online, via Android or iOS, or on any device supporting a mobile browser.