July 22, 2013
Mobile Automated Testing With Keynote Mobile Testing Part II
Reliance on web based SaaS platforms can help developers and testers to enjoy an array of automation, monitoring and testing features. Keynote Mobile Testing is one such web based software that easily accesses many interconnected mobile phones and tablets on a network spread across various geo locations.
The intuitive web based user interface design is put to best use for carrying out automated testings. Test scripts are easily generated and can be used seamlessly without the need for any coding. Script based commands available as widgets are available on the websites. A simple click of the command adds it to the scripts and defines its properties in the user interface. Check out these videos to see how it is done:
Third party applications or apk files can be easily installed on remote devices using the Install widget. Once deployed, these can be accessed from the list of applications available on the device.
These automation tools work on OCR based text and image recognition devices. This makes it easy for developers and testers to analyze/test these applications without any restriction. Anything can be subjected to testing, from native apps, web based apps to hybrid app tools. Assessing Flash content is however a concern area as per the Sales team.
For both the tools, there exists technical support if we require them.
Technical support is available for Keynote Mobile Testing
Early in the mobile application development process it usually makes sense to conduct manual testing while the test strategy is being refined. Then, once the testing processes are standardized, automated testing starts to deliver significant benefits.
Keynote Mobile Testing
Keynote Mobile Testing offers the following options:
1. Keynote Mobile Testing Free
Provides free online access to most popular devices for spot testing of mobile websites only. You can test the functionality, usability and rendering of your website. Interact remotely with live mobile devices in real time- iOS, Android, Windows Phone and Blackberry. This enables us to see how exactly the website content looks and acts in a mobile environment. Keynote Mobile Testing Free is a no-cost online service. No hidden charges. No contracts. You can get unlimited number of 10 minute sessions on any available device. When the time is over either wait for the particular device or switch device and start again. There is no limit.
2. Keynote Mobile Testing Test Center Developer
Keynote Mobile Testing Test Center Developer or TCD enables manual testing of any mobile app or website on hundreds of mobile devices. We can access fully equipped device lab to conduct interactive manual testing of any mobile app or website. We can test functionality, usability and performance of native or web based mobile app. It allows developers to remotely interact and control every aspect including pressing handset buttons, viewing LCD displays, listening to ringers and tones, playing videos, taping and swiping touch screens, muting, powering on/off, downloading apps, sending/receiving messages and anything else they could do if they held the physical device in their own hands. Online reporting (including video and image capture from handsets) and collaboration enable efficient review and sharing with colleagues. You can request free 3 hour trial.
3. Keynote Mobile Testing Test Center Enterprise (TCE)
Keynote Mobile Testing TCE provides enterprise platform for mobile (manual and automated) testing and service monitoring of enterprise mobile apps and websites. It gives easy remote access to all popular smartphones and tablets. Test developer can create hundreds of automation scripts and leverage them across multiple devices. We can get 24x7 performance monitoring and analysis of mobile apps or website in production.
Keynote Mobile Testing enables us to enhance the tests scripts by using Java API to access many functionalities of the remote devices. It also integrates with leading test tools like QTP and IBM ALM.* It enables engineers and testers to plug-and-play local devices into their desktop computers for manual and automated testing. Devices can also be set-up in an enterprise lab environment (on-premise or in the Keynote Mobile Testing enterprise cloud) for sharing across local and remote teams.
The videos below provide overviews of the Keynote Mobile Testing system and service.
Keynote Mobile Testing Automation features:
- It automates Text/Image selection on a device screen. Without requiring any change in the script, the system automaticallyfinds the required elements (Buttons/ TextFields / Drop Down components) even if their location changes on the screen..
- OCR based text and image validations are done by this tool which allows robust text and image matching. UI distortions can easily be captured in the applications to truncate texts, overlapping texts, bad alignment of views etc.
- Identification and reporting of mobile application issues/ defects is done instantly.
- Hardware functions of the device can be easily controlled like accelerometer, power detection, backlight detection, power on/off, slide open/close, battery connect/disconnect, SIM card, and more.
- Optimized image matching algorithms can be advanatageous when it comes to minor changes in pixilation.
- A single script can be run across multiple devices because of the advanced support for HTML5 web app development including object level scripting.Test cycles can be defined to run multiple test cases across different devices
- A web based reporting portal is a useful feature. Customized reports in different formats, even screen grabs and video captures can be extracted with ease.
- Device SD card is accessible which allows for copying of files to the SD card.
- A restriction is in place that prevents users from upgrading the device firmware.
- Screenshots can be easily taken and even videos made.
- Keys, touch, flip/slide, accelerometer and power control controls are provided.
- Emerging technology development is also factored in. Apart from the most popular devices, newer devices can also be accessed once these are launched.
A smart mobile automation report must take into account the needs for a well-planned software testing methodology. The discretion of software engineers should take precedence as quite often a manual mobile testing approach can be a safe bet as against creating auto tests when one looks at time considerations.